Scythebill 15.2.0 is now available, with many improvements across the application, including BirdTrack support and several browsing and import improvements. As always, download here, and let me know if you have any problems, either on Facebook or by email.
Update: 15.2.1 was released on April 26 with two bug fixes - one for eBird MyData imports containing records from "January 1, 1900" (which eBird uses for dateless records), and a second for correctly setting the "Photographed" field when adding photos in one missing case.
15.2.3 was released on May 22 with some substantial improvements to Ornitho imports and a fix for eBird "domestic" taxa not always importing correctly.
Other import improvements
Reconcile "sp's" against checklists
- Scythebill is now "signed" on Windows. For now, this won't change much - though when Windows gives you warnings about an "unrecognized app", you'll see my name as the publisher. But as people install and use Scythebill, the installation warning will eventually disappear.
- When using Enter sightings, the "New for" column will also tell you if you have new species for your "year" list (though only for your world year list - if you're tracking multiple year lists, this doesn't quite do what you need).
- The BOU names for the IOC taxonomy are updated for some recent changes, most but not all of which align better with widespread non-British usage (for example, Greater and Lesser Canada Goose are now just Canada and Cackling Goose).
- Scythebill automatically uses its checklists to simplify data entry when you're typing abbreviated species names. It now prioritizes regular species over rarities - for example, the first "D" in England is now Dartford Warbler and not Dark-eyed Junco.
- There is now a new preference to let you choose the language for Scythebill. If you don't want to use the system language, you can explicitly choose from English, German, or Spanish.
- As always, a bevy of recent first records are incorporated into the checklists. The rarity list is fixed for Oregon and British Columbia, and the Armenia checklist is much improved.
- When entering sightings, if you quit Scythebill or asked to import sightings before clicking "Done", you'd lose your work! You now get a warning, and you can also use "Save" in the file menu during species entry to immediately save without leaving.
- Some of the keyboard shortcuts when entering sightings - like "H" to toggle on Heard Only - would not always get saved
- When entering sightings and moving to or from the IOC taxonomy, the table might not correctly display species counts and other information. (The data was always present.)
- The IUCN Redlist status for endangered species wouldn't appear in "Browse by species" if the species only had a scientific name. This just affected extended taxonomies.
- An error dialog that sometimes appeared on MacOS when plugging in or plugging monitors should no longer appear.