Scythebill 15.0 is now available, with Flickr Album imports, "Times sighted" reporting, and much more. As always, download here, and let me know if you have any problems, either on Facebook or by email.
The next version should arrive with the IOC 11.0 update, probably in January 2021.
(Scythebill 15.0.2 was released almost immediately with a fix for first-time users, and Scythebill 15.0.3 was released on January 4, 2021, with some Flickr import improvements and a fix for Waarnemening.be imports.)
Flickr Album imports
- It only supports albums - it can't import an entire photostream, for example.
- It only supports public albums - you can't import private data. You can flip the album to public for the import and right back to private if needed.
- It does a better job if you can give it one location - say, a country - for the import. If you have albums spanning multiple countries, it'll do OK, but for best results use albums organized per-country.
- Obviously, photos with no title or description cannot import.
Reporting improvements - "Times sighted" and "Pacific Ocean (ABA)"
Other import improvements
Small new features
- There's a new "Find checklist rarities..." menu item in the File menu. It can find any species you've seen that are considered rarities on the Scythebill checklists. This can just give you a happy memory, but it can also be a sign of identification or import mistakes, or a problem with the Scythebill checklists.
- The IUCN Red List 2020 updates are now included.
- Scythebill now includes checklists for the five "High Seas" regions. Can't say they're perfect (no one officially tracks these as best I can find), but they should be helpful on the rare occasions one is on a boat far, far from land.
- Scythebill includes new eBird/Clements name translations for the Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Gallician, Korean, Lithuanian, Romanian, Slovakian, and Slovenian languages.
- The Isle of Man, Guernsey, and Jersey are no longer incorrectly included in the United Kingdom. (They are Crown dependencies instead.)
- The checklists are, as always, updated - in particular, I did another annual pass comparing all of Scythebill's checklists with eBird records, uncovering a lot of new entries.
- The Range Summary dialog used when resolving splits or choosing subspecies now works correctly in multi-monitor setups.
- An error dialog that sometimes popped up when switching taxonomies on the Show reports page should be fixed
- When entering the second half of a "spuh" or hybrid, alternate names are now available in the species chooser.